Come out Saturday to Treasure Island to check out my Amateur Radio club participating in Field Day. Field Day is a yearly event where ham radio users around north america compete to establish as many connections with other hams around the world as they can. I’ll be there from Saturday morning all the way through Sunday mid-day broadcasting. Come on down and you can even jump on the air with me if you like. We’ll be setup here : http://goo.gl/maps/dXbg
Feel free to give me a call or just drop by.
Note, there is a Flea Market nearby from 9am – 4pm on Saturday which may make parking a bit sparser than usual.
Here’s some cool stuff that I saw at the Maker Faire today :
- Forbidden Island : New (2010) game by Matt Leacock
- The Atari 800 : There was one in a booth at the faire and it reminded me that my family used to have one and it was alot of fun. I need to get an emulator.
- The Open Organisation of Lockpickers : I gotta get a kit from these guys, cool stuff.
- Educational Garden Tour on June 18th
- Lawn be Gone : The Bay Area Water Supply & Conservation Agency had a booth with examples of replacements for lawn that use less water. Heck they’ll also subsidize it for you.
- The Mushroom Kit : Grow your own mushrooms! Makes me think I should figure out how to get mushroom spores and use Kris’s used coffee grounds (which we have a ton of) and grow some mushrooms.
- Night Shift : I gotta try out this LucasArts game from 1990. The premise is hilarious.
- Humble Earth Fireflies : Very cool idea (solar/battery powered LED fireflies). Maybe I’ll try to make something (less complicated) than this that looks like fireflies.
- Digital Game Museum : These guys are doing cool stuff. Hope they get some funding.
- Rainwater Harvesting : Cool resources for setting up rainwater harvesting   
You got three seconds to get outta here before I break out the atomic elbow, brotha!
Shut your pie hole, Blip! Why, twenty years ago I woulda put your head in a half nelson, twisted it around, saying each letter of the alphabet on every turn, and when I reached the first letter of my true love’s name, that would be the lovely Elizabeth, I would yank your head clean off and roll it down the pike like a bowling ball!
Yesterday morning while riding through the Posey Tube from Alameda to Oakland, I rode over about 4 botts’ dots and the vibrations somehow detached my Givi V46 motorcycle luggage case from my motorcycle. I reached back and it was gone. I immediately exited the tube, swung around, flew through the Webster tube back to Alameda, turned around and went back through the Posey tube to find it (maybe 4 minutes later). Nothing. No debris, no case, no evidence of any kind that it had been there minutes before.
I retraced my path, walked into the Posey tube thinking I was losing my mind. No luck.
Posted a craigslist lost and found yesterday to no avail and then this morning called Oakland PD to see if they had somehow picked it up in the minutes between when it fell off and when I got back to that location. They said to call Caltrans. Caltrans didn’t find anything in the tube yesterday. Finally called Alameda PD, started to explain what happened and the operator says “Ya I think one of our officers picked that up yesterday, one moment”. A minute later Office Pasco comes on the line and says someone handed it off to him yesterday. I say I’ll come by immediately to pick it up and he says not to worry about it, he’ll bring it to me. Ten minutes later he’s at my office building with my top case.
This is the side of peace officers that I want to see more of. Effective, helpful, generous. Awesome. I like Alameda. I’m glad I moved here.
I guess it makes sense that my mom would know me this well but it’s still surprising.
- Sends me a present which I get to pick up from a business by giving them my name so I feel like I’m in Blade Runner or Neuromancer where everyone lives their lives in the public space and information and goods are conveyed by sending them to people who hold them and distribute them : check
- The present comes from one of my favorite local businesses, EndGame : check
- The present is the shiny new awesome looking board game Steam : Rails to Riches, satisfying my love of board games and my constant desire to have more excuses to spend time with my friends : check
Wow mom, you rock. Thank you!